Macular Hole

Macular Hole Defined

The macula provides the sharp, central vision necessary for reading, driving, and seeing fine detail. A macular hole is a small break in the macula, located in the center of the eye’s light-sensitive tissue, called the retina.

What causes a macular hole?
In 80% of cases, macular holes are associated with aging, most common in those over the age of 60. Near-sightedness, trauma, systemic diseases and inflammation account for the other 20%. Ten percent of patients will go on to develop the condition bilaterally. Females tend to be affected more commonly than males and there are theories suggesting its link with shifting estrogen levels around the time of menopause.

What are the symptoms of a macular hole?
Some of the most common symptoms include distortion, reading difficulty, or a blind spot in the center of vision (scotoma).

What are the treatments for macular holes?
Macular holes are treated with a vitrectomy.